UNIt XXXVI: Universations 880 - 915

880


We need a break in the action.
But we're out of time.
I'm willing to take a technical.


881


Can you own the truth?
I don't think so.
Then why do you keep trying to cling to it?


882


I heard you were caught trying to steal second.
The catcher made a great throw.
Are you saying only something great can prevent you from succeeding?


883


Rain is in the forecast.
I prefer to look back on past rains.


884


You should pay as you go.
That's why I'm stopped.


885


Ancient Greece was known for olives, wine and good philosophy.
They were good fighters too.
The Spartans went overboard in that area.
Not exactly spartan of them, was it?


886


How long have you been writing songs?
About 35 years.
Any hits yet?
No, and well-deserved not to be.
Then why do you keep on writing them?
I don't know why but someday maybe somebody else will.


887


How are the flowers in your garden doing?
They're growing like weeds.


888


I noticed there's a crumpled envelope on the stand beside your easy chair. Are the contents crumpled too?
No, but my heart is.


889


You're just sitting there.
And...loving it.


890


If we couldn't gossip, could we still converse?
I'm sure we'd find something to talk about.
But would it be interesting?
Let's hope so.


891


All my friends are in jail.
They knew the risks involved.
I still feel guilty.
You should.


892


Do hyenas laugh at the break of dawn?
Yes, but only if they had a good night.


893


Have you done any Shakespeare in the park lately?
Yes, our little group just performed the Merchant of Venice.
Was it successful?
We haven't heard from all the critics yet.


894


Is motivation the key?
The quality of the lock may be more important.


895


What happened to the breeze?
It went that-a-way.


896


This old house will likely outlast me.
You better hope so or you might find yourself homeless.


897


Are you sure of your beliefs?
Now that you ask me, I wonder.


898


It doesn't get much nicer than this.
It's not suppose to.


899


How do you spend your days?
In quiet contemplation.
But I see you everywhere: in the market, in the town square, at the edge of the river.
You don't see me. You just see what I do.


900


You keep searching for that special look.
Yes, but I'm not finding it.
Will you quit searching?
Probably not.


901


This summer promises to be hot.
That's a promise that's not that hard to keep.


902


Can evil be morally ambiguous?
Not at the time it's committed.


903


Do you believe in free will?
Yes.
But aren't there mitigating factors?
There are excuses.


904


Do you ever wish that you were better understood?
No.
Really?
I don't want to lose that sense of mystery.


905


Can you be creative in a small town?
Yes, but not in a small life.


906


I'm running on empty.
Who isn't?


907


How's that heat acclimation going?
Water in, water out.


908


He's the epitome of the eternal optimist.
But he wears black.
That's what I mean.


909


If light is so fast, why are we still in the dark?
It's the universal human condition.
Does God know that?
He has to live with it just like the rest of us.


910


You can't wash your hands of this one.
I can if I'm willing to use something other than soap.


911


Whatever happened to telling the truth?
Nothing happened.


912


The daylight shines with unusual intensity.
Has God been stopping the sun again?


913


Don't work so hard to de-mystify the past.
Why not?
There you go again.


914


Good help is hard to find.
Before the Big Bang, God had the same problem.


915


Why don't you use your turn signals more often?
I don't want people to know where I'm going.

GO to UNIt XXXVII